http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_photo_gallery_enlarge.asp?id=4462548

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Chive Vinegar, Violet Vinegar

Chive Vinegar, Violet Vinegar
  


Want to try something different that is easy to make?  Just pour white vinegar (or vinegar you prefer) over a jar full of Violet flowers or Chive flowers, and you will have a pretty pink to purple vinegar.  It makes a nice addition to a gift basket.  It can be used in salad dressings, potato salad, or anything you normally use vinegar in.  I read somewhere that the Violet Vinegar has a peppery taste, but I haven't actually tasted that one yet.  It sure is pretty though.  The Chive Vinegar, well, tastes like Chive.  ;)  I like that one very much.

Let it sit for a few days.  (Some people let it sit for a couple of weeks.)  Then, strain.  If you store it in a jar with a metal lid, put a piece of waxed paper between it and the vinegar as it will corrode metal. 

Chive flowers in vinegar.

Chive Vinegar.

I used it in a simple Sweet and Sour Sauce 
that I make sometimes.  It turned out very 
tasty with a hint of Chive flavor.  


Here is the recipe in case you want to try it:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
2-1/2 Tbsp ketchup
1/4 tsp salt
Bring to a boil and stir this mixture:  
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp cold water.  Stir until thick and translucent.  Add pineapple if desired. 



____________

Violet flowers.

This was after just a few hours
 of adding the vinegar.


I'd like to try other flower vinegars.  Not sure which to do yet.    I'd also try using Rice Vinegar that I have.  You can check out my Edible Garden Flowers post. (click here)   I actually posted about the vinegar on there but decided to do this separate post also. Let me know if you try other kinds and what you think.  You can leave a comment below without signing in.

Thanks for checking out my blog!  :)

6 comments:

  1. Too bad the violets and chive flowers have already passed by. I'd try this one out! It looks like fun! Hen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violets are great. I used to make tea for my kids out of them - the color is astounding. The leaves also aren't half-bad in salads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to put violets in my salad too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum... I have made violet syrup and violet jelly but we are vinegar people here too... I think the chive vinegar looks great. I have something called Fire Vinegar steeping now: garlic, onions, hot peppers, turmeric, in raw apple cider vinegar. It is supposed to have horseradish in it too but we haven't gotten that dug yet... and it's snowing... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo I don't like hot spicy. :P I really liked the sweet and sour sauce I made with the chive vinegar. I'm definitely going to make some more of that vinegar this summer when the chives bloom again. :)

    ReplyDelete