This is also known as Indian Celery or Pushki.
I handled some on a cloudy day and then peeled it and cut it up while in the house and then washed my hands and had no problems at all. Some people may be more sensitive to it. Just be careful. :)
I see many warnings about not confusing this with Poison Hemlock; but they look quite different unless you are just looking at the flowers, which you should never do to identify a plant anyway. The leaves are quite different, so you really don't need to worry about confusing them if you know what the leaves look like.
Also, don't get this confused with the Giant Hogweed. This plant is notorious for causing severe burns and blisters. There are a few definite characteristics to go by to tell them apart. Here is a web site that has some nice comparison photos of the two. (click here)